Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Pogues - Glasgow Carling Academy - 11.12.06

I've been neglecting Channel D, but since no one reads it, thats OK.

Anyway, here's a half arsed review of the gig I was at tonight.

Missed the support, as usual for most gigs I go to.
I only just had my first pint in the venue in my hand when The clash's "Straight To Hell" kicked in, which for the uninitiated is The Pogues' entrance music.

Quick charge into a good position and the band opened with Streams Of Whisky. Shane was looking good. Well, for Shane. I've seen him much worse, this time he at least looked healthy.
The bastard did get round Scotland's smoking ban though, by mostly ignoring it. He had a fan fairly near him on stage, which was apparently enough to let him smoke.
As a smoker in the crowd, this annoyed me immensly, until eventually myself and my brother decided to ignore that particular law. Given the stench of farts and B.O. from the people just in front of us, no one complained at a couple of ciggies being lit.
Oh yeah, there was a band on, wasn't there?

For the most part the set was the same as last year, which was no great surprise. [At this point, chronology may get the better of me] They did throw in a few songs that haven't been played the last few years though, most memorably Kitty.
Encore was of course Fairytale (with Jem Finner's daughter Ella, looking and sounding lovely, just like last year) and Fiesta .

All in all, a f*cking great gig. I'll be back tomorrow to tell you what I thought of Madness.
(I may also be posting an official bootleg of Madness, if anyone is interested.)

1 comment:

b said...

I am. interested that is.

I loved when Shane danced with Ella. Cute :)

the starting bands are always so awful (we had this terrible group called the towers of london who i will reject forever and always), but every time i go to a show, if i don't wait around through them, i get a bad spot, can't see anything, and have not yet been drunk enough to push myself through the crowd the way those drunk bitches that i hate do. . . i'm rather non-confrontational, inebriated or not. . . next time though. . .

"by mostly ignoring it" ha!!